The 3MTM PeltorTM COMTAC family of headsets provides tactical hearing protection for today’s modern warfi ghter. COMTAC has been designed specifi cally for use with firearms and ballistic combat helmets. The hearing protectors feature external microphones for “talk-thru” capability so today’s warfi ghter can maintain situational awareness while still protecting their hearing.
- Level-dependent surround sound for “talkthru” function
- Ambidextrous noise-canceling boom mic (that can be mounted on either left or right side by operator) angled to minimize interference with peripheral vision
- Listen-only 2-way communication available
- Adjustable sizing to fi t different users
- MIL STD 810F, Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
- Submersion: 3 feet, 30 minutes, salt-water-survivable
- Level-Dependant Functionality, commonly referred to as “talk thru,” is a means of allowing safe audio sounds to bypass the individual hearing protection while still protecting against harmful noises.
- This is accomplished with a proprietary digital audio circuit integrated into the headset.
- A microphone receives the sounds outside the headset and transmits them to a speaker inside the headset.
- The Level-Dependant digital audio circuit senses noise levels above the desired threshhold and compresses them to a safe decibel level or amplifi es weak sounds to an audible level.
Compression vs. Clipping
- 3M has incorporated compression technology to remove the “clipping” effect heard in common talk-thru systems.
- “Clipping” can result in missing the first syllable of important commands.
- This technology resolves that issue and dramatically improves speech intelligibility.
EMI - MIL STD 461E
- Department of Defense Interface Standard, Requirements for the Control of Electromagnetic Interference Characteristics of Subsystems and Equipment.
- RS103 requirements.
Noise Reduction Ratings (NRR)
- NRR 20dB (per ANSI S3.19-1974; NAVLAP certifi ed - tested internally at 3M’s NAVLAP-accredited fac